For Ear Training Exercise Degrees and melody level 2 en level 3, I have made new questions.
The purpose of this exercise is to learn to notate the degrees I, IV, V and V7, or tonic, subdominant, dominant and dominant seventh by ear.
See example question Ear Training exercise Degrees and melody level 3.
The following degrees are being played: I - ? - ? - ?
Use Roman numerals to notate the missing degrees.
The first chord is provided and is the tonic. When playing the chord progression listen for:
- identical chords.
- chord functions; is a tonic, subdominant, dominant or dominant seventh being played?
- the dominant - tonic (V - I) progression.
- the difference between V and V7.
Then play the chord progression and notice that:
- the fourth chord sounds the same as the first chord (tonic). The fourth chord is a first degree (I).
- the third and fourth chords sound like a dominant - tonic (V - I).
- the second chord sounds like a subdominant (IV).
Answer: IV - V - I.